Experience a Revolution
The adventures and opportunities that you'll have while using the Pterosail are virtually endless. Every aspect of the Pterosail has been designed to give its rider the ultimate in comfort and stability. You'll find that using the Pterosail brings a renewed sense of discovery. What better way to enjoy the Great Outdoors than to use one of nature's most elemental forces!
See the Pterosail in Action
Get the Flash Player to see this player.
- Wind Power: The Pterosail is a recumbent trike equipped with a patented sailing system. The Pterosail combines the comfort of recumbent trikes with the pleasure of sailing. The fifty-state street-legal Pterosail represents an exciting new chapter in cross country and recreational cycling.
“For thousands of years, civilizations have used the wind to travel across oceans, yet, this same energy has proven elusive for use on land. That’s why this type of technology is so exciting, it combines two of America's favorite pastimes, sailing and cycling into one. The technology not only allows riders to explore America's roadways in an exciting new way, but also allows people that otherwise couldn't because of physical limitations - a new opportunity,” says John MacTaggart, Chief Executive Officer of Pterosail Trike Systems.
- How it Works: Past attempts at producing a stable sailing vehicle have failed, largely due to the use of inherently unstable “main” type sails. Main type sails operate with a “pushing” action while the patented jib-based sail “pulls” - resulting in dramatically increased stability. The patented self-tacking jib sail is placed forward of the rider and low to the ground. The Pterosail features the Automatic Sheet Management (ASM) system that take all the guess-work out of sailing. At the heart of the ASM system is a continuously recoiling sheet (line). To accelerate and use the wind, the rider tensions the sheet while steering with the other hand. To slow down, the rider simply releases the tension. It's that easy! The ASM system allows anyone to use the Pterosail – no previous sailing experience required!
- Easy to Setup and Break Down: The Pterosail can be used with or without the sailing system. The Pterosail is easily setup and broken down within minutes. The sailing system system consists of twin, two-piece carbon composite masts and two-piece carbon composite boom arms. Pterosail Trike Systems offers optional marine-grade transportation bags to store the sail and carbon composite. Additionally, the Pterosail itself can be broken down into two sections. This is ideal if you need to transport the trike in a car to truck.
- A New Alternative: Pterosail Trike Systems is aware of the growing environmental awareness of the benefits of zero-emission vehicles. Almost daily we are reminded of how dependent we have become on petroleum. We are proud to offer an exciting new alternative to petroleum based vehicles. We believe the more our citizens get out into the countryside, the better our nation will husband its resources.
- ■ Use Wind Power
- ■ Made for the Road: Street Legal
- ■ Safe and Stable
- ■ Use the Pterosail as a standalone trike
- ■ Environmentally Sound
- ■ Easy to Learn
- ■ Easy to Store
- ■ Lots of FUN
- ■ How fast is it? How fast is the wind?
|Masts||NoLimitz 91% Carbon Fiber|
|Spar||Aircraft Grade Aluminum|
|Sail||Custom Jib Type sail (MACK SAILS)|
|Furler||Harken Sail Furler|
|Turnbuckles||High Tension Turnbuckles|
|Stay Lines||3 Spliced Front Stays / 1 Rear Stay -- Secured with high tension Rope Clutch|
|Usable Wind Speed||~10MPH to 30MPH|
|Usable Wind Direction||320 degrees|
|Total Weight||85 lbs (Includes both the Pterosail and Sailing System)|
|Frame Colors||Available in 18 Colors (See chart to the right)|
|Shipping||Shipping within the Continental US is a flat rate of $300.00 For shipment to other destinations, please contact Pterosail HERE|
To measure your X Seam, sit with your back firmly against a wall with your legs extended and your toes pointed upwards. Your X Seam is the distance from the wall to your heel. We will use the X Seam measurement to ensure that your trike is a perfect fit for you.
Price: $5499.00 + S&H